Sunday, January 8, 2012

In Memoriam by George Santayana/Poem on Grief, Sympathy, Tribute, Goodbye and Healing


Daniel F Gerhartz painting

In Memoriam
George Santayana

With you a part of me hath passed away;
For in the peopled forest of my mind
A tree made leafless by this wintry wind
Shall never don again its green array.

Chapel and fireside, country road and bay,
Have something of their friendliness resigned;
Another, if I would, I could not find,
And I am grown much older in a day.

But yet I treasure in my memory
Your gift of charity, and young hearts ease,
And the dear honour of your amity;
For these once mine, my life is rich with these.
And I scarce know which part may greater be,--
What I keep of you, or you rob from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...