Saturday, March 24, 2012

Excerpt from "The meeting" by John Greenleaf whittier , We Are Made One with What We Touch and See by Oscar Wilde, Nature and Man by: Edith Matilda Thomas

Excerpt from "The meeting"
by John Greenleaf whittier


Music:



"Dream not, O friend, because I seek
This quiet shelter twice a week,
I better deem its pine-laid floor
Than breezy hill or sea-sung shore;
But nature is not solitude:
She crowds us with her thronging wood;
Her many hands reach out to us,
Her many tongues are garrulous;
Perpetual riddles of surprise
She offers to our ears and eyes;
She will not leave our senses still,
But drags them captive at her will;
And making earth too great for heaven,
She hides the Giver in the given.

"And so I find it well to come
For deeper rest to this still room,
For here the habit of the soul
Feels less the outer world's control;
The strength of mutual purpose pleads
More earnestly our common needs;
And from the silence multiplied
By these still forms on either side,
The world that time and sense have known
Falls off and leaves us God alone.

"Yet rarely through the charmed repose
Unmixed the stream of motive flows,
A flavor of its many springs,
The tints of earth and sky it brings;
In the still waters needs must be
Some shade of human sympathy;
And here, in its accustomed place,
I look on memory's dearest face;
The blind by-sitter guesseth not
What shadow haunts that vacant spot;

No eyes save mine alone can see
The love wherewith it welcomes me!
And still, with those alone my kin,
In doubt and weakness, want and sin,
I bow my head, my heart I bare,
As when that face was living there,
And strive (too oft, alas! in vain)
The peace of simple trust to gain,
Fold fancy's restless wings, and lay
The idols of my heart away.

We Are Made One with What We Touch and See
Oscar Wilde

Emile Vernon art

We are resolved into the supreme air,
We are made one with what we touch and see,
With our heart's blood each crimson sun is fair,
With our young lives each springimpassioned tree
Flames into green, the wildest beasts that range
The moor our kinsmen are, all life is one, and all is change.

With beat of systole and of diastole
One grand great life throbs through earth's giant heart,
And mighty waves of single Being roll
From nerveless germ to man, for we are part
Of every rock and bird and beast and hill,
One with the things that prey on us, and one with what we kill

One sacrament are consecrate, the earth
Not we alone hath passions hymeneal,
The yellow buttercups that shake for mirth
At daybreak know a pleasure not less real
Than we do, when in some freshblossoming wood
We draw the spring into our hearts, and feel that life is good

Is the light vanished from our golden sun,
Or is this daedalfashioned earth less fair,
That we are nature's heritors, and one
With every pulse of life that beats the air?
Rather new suns across the sky shall pass,
New splendour come unto the flower, new glory to the grass.

And we two lovers shall not sit afar,
Critics of nature, but the joyous sea
Shall be our raiment, and the bearded star
Shoot arrows at our pleasure! We shall be
Part of the mighty universal whole,
And through all Aeons mix and mingle with the Kosmic Soul!.

We shall be notes in that great Symphony
Whose cadence circles through the rhythmic spheres,
And all the live World's throbbing heart shall be
One with our heart, the stealthy creeping years
Have lost their terrors now, we shall not die,
The Universe itself shall be our Immortality!.

Nature and Man

by Edith Matilda Thomas


Oh, the glance of the dew! Oh, the flame of
the rose springing forth of the thorn!
Oh, the song of the arrow-marked finch singing
love in the front of the morn!
Who will not speak to them all of the rapture
they wake in the children of men?
Who will so lovingly speak, they will heed,
and answer again?

The glance of the dew but repeateth the liquid
glance of the sky,
And the flame of the rose is not brighter,
in token, as man passes by,
And the song of the finch, though his little
heart with ecstasy break,
From the answering rapture of man no quickening
impulse shall take.

O drops of the dew! O pride of the thorn!
O singing bird!
Is there never a mutual tongue, is there never
a common word,
Wherein to give thanks, wherein to give praise,
from the hearts ye have filled?
With the pure distilment of joy which your cup,
over-brimming, has spilled?

If but one moment, in all the swift season giddy
with change,
We that are God's one creation, yet strangers,
might be less strange!
But this is the pain of the pleasure--the bitter-sweet
which man drains:
Unconscious-glad Nature unconscious of man forever remains!



I Know Not Why
by Morris Rosenfeld

I lift mine eyes against the sky,
The clouds are weeping, so am I;
I lift mine eyes again on high,
The sun is smiling, so am I.
Why do I smile? Why do I weep?
I do not know; it lies too deep.
I hear the winds of autumn sigh,
They break my heart, they make me cry;
I hear the birds of lovely spring,
My hopes revive, I help them sing.
Why do I sing? Why do I cry?
It lies so deep, I know not why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...