Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Remember by Henry Van Dyke*From the original French"Rappelle-toi" de Alfred De Musset


Remember
Henry Van Dyke

Freely rendered from the French of Alfred de Musset
(Rappelle-Toi).

Remember,when the timid light
Through the enchanted hall of dawn is gleaming;
Remember, when the pensive night
Beneath her silver-sprinkled veil walks dreaming;
When pleasure calls thee and thy heart beats high,
When tender joys through evening shades draw nigh,
Hark, from the woodland deeps
A gentle whisper creeps,
Remember!

Remember, when the hand of fate
My life from thine forevermore has parted;
When sorrow, exile, and the weight
Of lonely years have made me heavy-hearted;
Think of my loyal love, my last adieu;
Absence and time are naught, if we are true;
Long as my heart shall beat,
To thine it will repeat,
Remember!

Remember, when the cool, dark tomb
Receives my heart into its quiet keeping,
And some sweet flower begins to bloom
Above the grassy mound where I am sleeping;
Ah then, my face thou nevermore shalt see,
But still my soul will linger close to thee,
And in the holy place of night,
The litany of love recite,--
Remember!

Rappelle-toi
Alfred De Musset

Rappelle-toi, quand l'Aurore craintive
Ouvre au Soleil son palais enchanté ;
Rappelle-toi, lorsque la nuit pensive
Passe en rêvant sous son voile argenté ;
A l'appel du plaisir lorsque ton sein palpite,
Aux doux songes du soir lorsque l'ombre t'invite,
Ecoute au fond des bois
Murmurer une voix :
Rappelle-toi.

Rappelle-toi, lorsque les destinées
M'auront de toi pour jamais séparé,
Quand le chagrin, l'exil et les années
Auront flétri ce coeur désespéré ;
Songe à mon triste amour, songe à l'adieu suprême !
L'absence ni le temps ne sont rien quand on aime.
Tant que mon coeur battra,
Toujours il te dira
Rappelle-toi.

Rappelle-toi, quand sous la froide terre
Mon coeur brisé pour toujours dormira ;
Rappelle-toi, quand la fleur solitaire
Sur mon tombeau doucement s'ouvrira.
Je ne te verrai plus ; mais mon âme immortelle
Reviendra près de toi comme une soeur fidèle.
Ecoute, dans la nuit,
Une voix qui gémit :
Rappelle-toi.

1 comment:

  1. I needed to thank you for this very good read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of
    it. I have got you saved as a favorite to check out
    new stuff you post…

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...